Welcome to Talking With The Pros Anthony, please give us a brief bio about yourself
I am a 20 year old aspiring digital artist and designer based in the United States. I am currently a freelance designer and a student, and my obvious number one interest is art. I spend much of my free time designing. I became mildly interested in design back about 5 years ago just browsing simple Photoshop tutorials and even since then it has been an interest of mine. I progressed from there and now it has become my passion.
2. Do you have a certain process when designing? Do you plan and sketch out the concept first or do you build it as you go?
I do a little bit of both when starting projects. At times I will sketch out a rough idea on paper, but some projects I just start and build off my ideas without making a specific plan of action. I always experiment with different compositions, so in a sense, I am always planning the concept as I go. I am more of a haphazard artist in that regard.
3. Do you find you approach personal projects different from client project?
Oh yes, definitely. The one thing about personal works is that they are all about me. I do not have to appeal to the desires of a client, so I can let my mind free and work how I want to. Personal projects are definitely my favorite aspect of designing, but I do enjoy receiving praise from clients like most designers do.
4. Around how much time would you say you spend when working on one of your pieces?
For personal pieces it ranges quite a bit. When I work on some of the more detailed photo manipulations, they often take up to 20 hours. Sometimes I am able to really build a strong composition early on in a design and that minimizes design time, because I try to spend a lot of time on arranging every element appropriately. I do not stop until I feel I am finished, and still I look back at works and want to fix some things.
5. Where do you source your (stock) images when doing your designs?
I get my stock images from paysites such as dreamstime.com, crestock.com and istockphoto.com. I also use sxc.hu for free stocks and shoot my own at times.
7. What are your favorite website/blogs you like to visit everyday?
I love deviant art, dropular.net, intrinsicnature.org
8. What would you say are your strengths and weaknesses as a digital artists?
I think my strength would be color and use of shapes. Weakness right now I think is that I need to improve on blending and perspective as well as even more innovative designs.
9. I read that you are doing work for an NBA player , do you mind sharing who the player is and what type of work are you doing for him?
I have done some work for Andre Iguodala of the Philadelphia 76ers and am currently working on some projects for him.
10. What other hobbies and interests do you have other than graphic design?
I enjoy music, sports (particularly basketball), photography, and gaming.
11. I don’t mean to make this sound like a job interview question, but where do you see yourself in 5 years?
In five years I see myself working with my good friend and talented artist Richard. We have been talking about possibly opening our own design studio, and by the time he is ready I might have some good experience working with an agency for a few years. Five years for that might seem like a lofty goal, but I want to aim high and succeed. It’s an industry where taking risks can really pay off, and I am willing to take some risks in order to obtain more of a “personal achiever” role as an entrepreneur.
12. Thank you very much for your time and the opportunity to interview you, any final thoughts for our readers?
For all of you interested in design and reading this, and you truly believe it is your passion make sure not to give up. Always work hard, and the more you practice, learn and network, the more you will improve. Being able to accept criticism will also make you better. Thanks a lot for the opportunity thebestdesigns.net!